Monday, June 4, 2007

Culver City Art Walk

I've been pretty active the past week or so, which has felt really good. I already wrote about the ARcade Fire concert, being that that activity completely warrants its own entry.

So, this weekend...

Karen and I started Friday night by eating at my favorite sushi place, which I've been going to since fifth grade with my dad: Noshi Sushi! It's very authentic; no frilly & elaborate Americanized rolls (the closest they come is the California Roll, which is standard now anyway). They have the freshest, tastiest raw fish I've ever engorged. Yum. I could eat there everyday (but that would get pricey). However, their sake carafes are only $3, and beer, only $2.50.

Next we headed to an art exhibit opening enitled "Happy Squirter" at , for artist "Buff Monster". The opening was in honor of (and timed with) the Culver City Art Walk, which took place the next day. The painting there were good; there were elements I liked, like use of waves of water droplets in every picture, but all in all, not really my style. I couldn't see these paintings matching with anything inside my house (when I get one). They had an opening bar and were serving Stone Pale Ale and Arrogant Bastard(!! - though unfortunately the latter's supply was expended by the time I got there). Open bar is ALWAYS great, and even better when they are serving good beer. In fact, I was so excited over the beer that I didn't even explore what type of Vodka they were using for martinis - I really could have scored! We also ran into some friends there, so that's always fun.

Then we headed to Karen's new favorite bar for some pool playing and debauchery.

Then, Saturday, Marissa and I... I saved this draft and never finished the entry, but it is now a week old... went to the Culver City Art Walk, after going to a sample jewelry sale in Santa Monica. The art walk was great. We first spent about 3 hours at the Museum of Jurassic Technology (aka Museum of Oddities). It was fascinating in the more obscure and strange way. I will most likely devote a blog entry to it, so expect that. Then we visited a few more galleries, including the Tim Biskup exhibit. This was the one that Marissa had been wanting to see, and I'm glad it was on her list. I really enjoyed his work. Unfortunately the prices were a bit out of my range, so I only got to admire them there.

I was going to write in detail about everywhere we went, but i let to much time pass before I revisited this entry. I do that a lot: get excited to write about certain things but then never have time to finish the blog in the detail that I want to, so the subject matter just sort of fizzles out. Hopefully I'll get a system down (it's all about having a system, huh Josh?). Ok, tata.

No comments: