Friday, May 25, 2007

Standin on a hill in my mountain of dreams

The past couple weeks have been really stressful. I'm lost at work (which is about as eloquently as I can explain it). I've been really sick. I have to go back to the doctor next week because upon examining X-rays of my chest on Wednesday, I was told that my lung shape is characteristic of someone who has emphysema or has had asthma their entire childhood (which I haven't); they are very long and narrow, relatively speaking, and I have an odd ribcage configuration. He labeled them, "overly inflated". But fingers crossed that it's just attributable to odd anatomy. Every little decision has been stressing me out. I thought last week I just was stressed about throwing Josh a surprise birthday party, but Friday came and went and the surprise went off without a hitch. Yet still, this anxiety lingers.

Well, my friend Lauren shared the poem below with me today. It was written a couple years ago for her great aunt, who past away last Saturday. It's beautiful and helped ease my stress a bit this morning, so I thought I'd share:

Sometimes we get lucky in this life
And friends come bearing large hearts
And say “Have Some”

Sometimes, we get lucky in this life
And glee emerges from old sorrows
And broken hearts are broken wide open,

And we step out of them
And a voice that was once ours
Wonders, “what took you so long?”

Sometimes we get lucky in this life
And step out of ourselves long enough
To love one another

Sometimes we get lucky in this life
And others are stepping out of themselves
At the same time

And we get lucky and hold out our hands
And for a change, there’s more than air
Between our fingers,

When we’re lucky
We get all this and give it away
We’re lucky if its ours to give

And if children leap to catch it
As though our offerings were fireflies
Small nimbi to be snapped into jars

If we’re lucky in this life
The memory of those nighttime flickers
Lightens later years. The on/off switch of miracle

Sometimes we get luck this life
And from grief mercy flows

Lucky life, Virginia
Oh, lucky, lucky life

No comments: