Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Idiocracy

Upon logging out of my hotmail account this morning, I came across an article entitled Your 5 Minute Guide to Raising Kids. At first I thought it was very sad that an article like this exists, then I thought it was funny, then I got a little sad again. It sort of begs the question of what contributes to poor parenting mentalities - which breed aloof parents who think reading an article like this is making a god-honest effort to be a better and more responsible parent. It's a big circle.

On a similar strand, Josh and I watched the movie Idiocracy last night. Our Netflix choices were Superman Returns, The Inconvenient Truth, and Idiocracy. Because I was attempting to unpack my new apartment, while lounging in my room watching a movie (first time I've had such a luxury!), I wanted something that didn't require all my attention. Idiocracy stars Luke Wilson (say no more) and Maya Rudolph and, well, sounds like just the type of movie I was looking for. Oddly enough though, my eyes were glued to the TV, as I unwittingly dropped a few IQ points by watching this movie.

The premise of Idiocracy is actually pretty humorous in it's satirical nature, which is also to say that, unfortunately, in some respect it is on par with reality. More specifically, the movie is commentary on the reality of the US and the exponential multiplication of uneducated white trash families vs. the dying out of intelligent and responsible people who focus their time on bettering their careers and being cautious, instead of making babies. Come 2505, the world has been taken over by idiots who can barely communicate (due to a vocabulary that is about 50% groaning noises and 35% the word "shit") and an ineffectively run government of people so moronic and controlled by consumerism that their most prominent disaster is dusts storms caused by lack of plant life... because they think they are supposed to water their crops with Gatorade as opposed to water... cuz it's got them electrolyte thingies. I'll stop there.

And, just like last night, I've already devoted more time and attention to this movie than I really should have. I guess the director was savvier than I initially thought.

On a less ridiculous note: the apartment is coming along great! Most of my stuff is moved in, and though it still appears to be in shambles, it's starting to feel like home. It's light and airy and is definitely located in the most optimal place in the complex, where we only share 1 wall with an adjoining neighbor (not that we're really loud, I just don't want to worry that someone will get upset whenever we play music after dusk). Plus, I think I fall in love with the neighborhood a little more each time I arrive home after work. Who would have thought that my first apartment in LA would be only a half mile from the house I grew up in. I couldn't be more thrilled!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i'm so happy for you baby!

Stepiphany said...

"That's why you're my baby, baby."