Monday, August 27, 2007

The sound of peace and quiet

Good day my fair readers.

I have an inquiry for which I’d like to elicit your suggestions and recommendations:

I LOVE the sound of white noise when I am falling asleep at night, specifically, the constant droning of a fan. I love it so much that I find it difficult to feel comfortable and soothed while falling asleep without the noise. Unfortunately, two problems have arisen: (1) the fan is great on hot nights, but when fall and winter roll around I basically force myself to shiver like I’m trapped in an icebox just so that I can have that auditory bliss - since the calming effect I get from the fan outweighs the bitter sensation that my frosty skin endures, and (2) I have been waking up with a raw throat and congested sinuses from the harsh conditions of the constant air blast (even when it is oscillating).

So my question is this: does anyone know of some sort of white noise device that I can use in lieu of a fan, to help me fall asleep at night? It’s going to have to be something that’s more or less identical to a fan sound; I’ve heard alarm clocks that offer rain, wind, and ocean settings, and though they might suffice, I’d really like the basic sound of a fan.

I eagerly await all responses and suggestions!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you already know about the clocks that sound like things...I think that's the major bulk of items in this genre...
I would suggest moving next to the freeway.
My car ocean lulls me to sleep every evening. =)