Monday, February 4, 2008

Feeling Inspired

I did a little drawing tonight. I didn't have anything around my apartment - any inanimate objects - that seemed worthwhile to draw. So I pulled a picture of someone I thought would make an attractive subject. I was a little tired by the time I got to the left side with the trunk, as you may be able to tell :) so the piece remains unfinished.

I'm still trying to find a particular style. I'd like to be able to sketch in a freer, faster, and almost messier way. I tend to be a little too calculating and meticulous when I draw and I actually don't like the way that looks as much as broad strokes and unruly lines. But I haven't gone through an artsy phase in awhile, so I'm still regaining my bearings here.



(kind of weird how it shows up as a mirror image, throws the brain off for a second)

On a random aside, I went to the Griffith Park Observatory on Saturday. It was the first time I've ever been, which is kind of sad considering I am a Los Angeles native. I hadn't even intended to end up there, but I'm really glad I finally went. I had intended to find a nice little hidden grassy patch somewhere in the trees around Griffith Park where I could cozy up with my book (sounds lovely, right?). But as I drove through the area I suddenly found myself being ushered with a sea of cars to the observatory parking area. We'll call it fate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, you may enjoy sea wolf for the looks, but i enjoy sea wolf for the sweet, sweet tunage.

i go to every s.w. show i can get my hands on, maybe ill see you there mmmm?

dig the sketch too!

Stepiphany said...

Thanks Mike :)

Yes, I enjoy looking at him, but I too have been addicted to his sweet, sweet 'tunage' lately. If you can remember, give me a heads up next time he's playing around here, I'd love to know.

Anonymous said...

stunning!!!