Friday, October 19, 2007

Life in the fast lane...

...is actually not that racy at all due to all the damn traffic in L.A.

Hi folks, how are you today?

This 'fast lane' I speak of is really just a metaphor for the Hollywood lifestyle and celebrity happenings. Oh wait, I think you already knew that. Regardless...

I work in Public Relations. Entertainment PR. It has it's ups and downs, as does any job. Given the nature of my job, and being that I live in LA (AND that we handle high-profile DVD releases), one of the 'ups' of my job is that I get to work the red carpet for big events and release parties, thus rubbing shoulders with some of Hollywood's finest. Now, I don't fully understand the pattern of my behaviour (ya, I put a 'u' in there) when it comes to being in the presence of celebrities. Sometimes I get really star struck to be working an event with some obscure actor that few people know of, but whom I really like (for example: Jay Chandrashekhar. It was quite exciting, actually; I went up and introduced myself to him and told him what a fan I am, how great Broken Lizard is, etc... had to be there maybe). Other times, I'll be standing next to George Clooney in line at a local eatery and treat the situation like he's just some Joe Schmo. But whatever the situation, on thing is for sure: I always like to name drop.

So, the "Hollywood's finest" representative I will be meeting and working with on Monday is Richard Gere. And also, maybe Marcia Gay Harden. Our event is in honor of the DVD release of the movie The Hoax and also the 11th Annual Hollywood Awards Gala Ceremony.

Generally speaking, when it comes to events that host big names, I will pitch the story to the major local news media and various cable networks, while my bosses spearhead the cash cows, very specifically: Access Hollywood, Entertainment Tonight, and Extra. Well, for whatever reason (I did not press them for the answer) my bosses can't work Monday's big event so they handed the responsibility over to me. They did all the coordinating, but now I am to act as the liaison between Extra and Richard Gere. He is receiving a special award at a tea party (no, I'm serious) before the red carpet and main awards ceremony, and I must at some point during this tea, make an interview with Extra happen.

It's fun and exciting to be responsible for something that my industry regards as such a major placement (even if it's not representative of my own personal values). But there's one thing that I just can't seem to get a grasp when it comes to these major events and media placements... I wonder why, after the weeks of endless preparation, the day of the event arrives and we are always still scrambling to make something happen that should be as effortless as a phone call or email and subsequent schedule pencil-in. It's a five minute interview. How come the publicists can't just say, "Okay, we'll plan on Richard being ready at 5pm for this brief interview." They already agreed to the interview, and he's already going to be present at the tea from 4-6pm. So why do they have to be so non-committal about a time. It just seems that everyone's schedule would flow so much more easily if the talent - pardon me - the talents' handlers could just meet us 1/8 of the way, by giving a verbal time agreement. All he's going to be doing is sitting at his table, sipping some tea anyway.

Ha. I had intended for this entry to be of bragging nature, not ranting nature, but such is my train of over-thought I suppose.

Anyway, I really hope I don't botch this up. Everything should go smoothly, but it's often the case that we'll plan something a week in advance, speak very explicitly about the plan with whoever's manager, and then we show up and not a single word would have been relayed to the main player of the plan. It's ridiculous. I get it, they're busy people. But doesn't that just mean that the managers and publicists should be the type of people who can adeptly handle busyness? And shouldn't the reporters, who deal with perpetually tentative schedules, be a little expectant of slight delays or changes in plan when they arrive places? It's like everyone arrives and is stressed out, and the person in my position becomes the bitch who is forced to be on the receiving end of all this stress.

Honestly, I just turned an 'up' of my job into a 'down'.

Now that you've witnessed the progression of me going from little miss big shot to thoroughly stressing myself out, wish me luck! In all reality, it will still be fun and exciting. It's just the preparation that is a bit painstaking. I'll fill you in on how it all goes after Monday.

Have a fantastic weekend!!

2 comments:

kels said...

So exciting..I hope everything goes your way as I am sure it will. Can't wait to hear about how it goes...

PS. Your job sounds pretty cool!

Unknown said...

I loved that you called yourself out