Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Movie Review: Juno

I just got back from seeing the movie Juno. I had been wanting to see it since I first saw the trailer, naturally, and it was fantastic, as I'm sure most people suspected it would be.

I was shopping at The Grove all by my lonesome, a state I've often found myself in lately. So, I decided to pop into the theater after having my fill of the crowds of people mindlessly herding themselves around the stores and walkways. Much to my delight, the next showing of the movie was only 15 minutes away and moreover, was not sold out. I don't know if I've ever gone to a movie by myself, but I highly recommend it; great 'me' time. Had I the time before the movie started, I would have dropped my multiple bulky bagfuls of purchases in the car, since there was no one there with me to watch them while I went to the bathroom or got popcorn and I felt I little awkward lugging them around everywhere, but c'est la vie.

Back to the movie. Fantastic. Or rather, stupendous - a word I sort of forgot about until I heard it used in the movie. Juno was positively charming, the movie itself and the main character. The movie in a way reminded me of Wes Anderson flicks, artistically and in its quirkiness. Like Anderson's, this movie took a dark situational reality and made it seem sweet, pretty, and even funny.

The dialogue was hilarious. Juno, the main character, made me wish I was in high school again, though I would have to pass on the whole being pregnant thing. She had me wishing I could go back and do it all over again, knowing that I know now about personal identity, since Juno seemed to approach her experience with a sort of mature mentality the first time around. I am now a huge Ellen Page fan. I wasn't sure how much I liked her as an actress after having seen Hard Candy, but I think her character in that was just a little too hard core for me. Plus I'm a bit sarcastic myself at times, and I felt like I identified with her personality in this movie. Oh and the father was hilarious too. One thing that disappointed me was Jason Bateman's character. I won't say why because I don't want to give anything away. But I am a huge Jason Bateman fan and I didn't like to see him portrayed in a negative light.

Other random great aspects: I loved the soundtrack. Very whimsical and innocent (and oh how I love the indie). Plus, I'm a fan of the fact that Diablo Cody is now a household name. At least in my household. Between me and me. Despite the fact that she may have been very well-known in the writing community prior to this. A scenario which, in turn, makes me a fan of hers. I find her situation inspiring and intend to learn much more about her.

In the end, I loved Juno and I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence about seeing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

netflix "hard candy" if you like ellen page... its really intense, but good

Stepiphany said...

eh hem... SOMEone didn't thoroughly read this entry. I cited that movie.